We all have those days and periods of time in life when we feel a bit low and lose our mojo! Instead of being battered by such times use the tools and technique below to shift your energy and mindset.
Here are my 5 top tips that you can put in your toolbox for dealing with difficult days and challenging periods in your life. Fast and effective you will be amazed at how quickly you can flip a situation and boost your positivity.
1. Reframe what is happening
One of the quickest ways to boost your mood and positivity quickly is to practice reframing what is happening, in other words to look at the situation or problem from a totally different perspective. Here are some useful examples:
- Swap, “why is this happening to me,” for “what is this teaching me?”
- Swap, “this is going to go horribly wrong,” with “I am going to do my very best.”
- Swap, “I am always going to feel like this,” with “everything has a season.”
- Swap, “this is unfair,” with “what can I do to start moving forward?”
Reframing a problem is a great tool to help you navigate the unexpected problems and hiccups that emerge through the day. It’s a life skill that gets easier and quicker with practice and means you feel empowered as it helps you to train your brain to think about negative and challenging situations in a more positive way.
Stress, tension and a racing mind can all be flipped instantly with mindful breathing. Here’s how: Stand or sit, close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Notice the flow of air in and out of your body, the rise and fall of your chest. It is natural for thoughts to arise (that’s what the mind does) if they pop into your head just return to being aware of your breath and let them pass. Stay with your breathing for as long as you can allowing the stillness to descend. When you are ready open your eyes noticing how much calmer you feel.
It might sound simplistic and too good to be true but research has found that smiling makes you happier. As your facial muscles smile they send signals to the brain that can actually impact your emotions. As you do it connect and feel the sensation of smiling, notice how it automatically lifts your spirits. If you add in an affirmation as you do this you make the effect even stronger. You could say ‘I am embracing the happy energy of a smile,’ or use any positive statement that works for you. You could also think about a really joyful or uplifting moment and as you smile reconnect with that moment. The unconscious mind does not know the difference between pretending and reality. You literally can fake it with a smile and happy thoughts!
4. A quick uplifting meditation
The power of meditation cannot be overlooked! Here is a quick meditation for you to try to literally blow the cobwebs away. Here’s what to do:
- Close your eyes and mouth and breath gently through your nose noticing the rise and fall of your chest and the flow if air in and out of your body. Breathing brings us to centre and into a state of calm.
- Imagine yourself standing on a beautiful sunny beach.
- Notice in as much detail what you can see. The blue sky, the golden sun, the shimmering rolling waves.
- Notice in as much detail what you can hear. The screeching gulls, the rolling splash of the waves crashing gently onto the shoreline.
- Notice in as much details what you can feel. The soft warm sand under your bare feet, maybe the cool waves and frothy sea foam lapping gently against your feet.
- Imagine that there is a strong but warn onshore breeze. Picture this breeze blowing through your mind, body and spirit blowing away all the negativity and darkness that you are holding.
- Feel a deep sense of gratitude as the breeze and the sun fills you with new fresh energy.
5. Take a few minutes out
Sometimes just need to stop and take a few minutes out to shift your energy and change your mindset or mood. Here are some of thew ays you can do this:
- Listen to your favourite upbeat track, one you love to sing along too (no sad and melancholy songs allowed)
- Dance – put on a song you love and spend the two-three minutes it plays dancing
- Move – high energy and exercise shifts stagnant energy and low vibrations. Just ten minutes works wonders
- Step away – go outside and get some fresh air – notice the season you are in – the colours, shapes, sounds and textures
- Do something else, something totally different as mindfully as you can. Focus all of your attention on another job or activity so you break the state
- Laugh – watch something that always makes you giggle, phone a friend that you can have a laugh with. Even thinking back to a hilarious moment that stands out in your memory works wonders.
Life isn’t always easy and even when we are in a good phase there are always curveballs that knock you off centre and spoil your day. With these five ideas you can take your power back and shift your mood and mindset really quickly.
I hope you enjoyed reading it. If you did then stay tuned as I hope to release some eBooks and courses in the forthcoming months. You can also to my monthly newsletter in which I share more spiritual insight as well as unique offers on my clothing with soul. You might also like to join my beautiful community of Facebook friends @earthmonkclothing.